Monday 11 February 2013

Jim Thompson on Dempsey Hill


Jim Thompson on Dempsey Hill


No. 45 Minden Road, Dempsey Hill Singapore 248817
Tel: 6475 6088
Fax 6476 5388

*Selected as one of Asia’s finest restaurants and the Best Thai Restaurant in Singapore by the Miele Guide 2009/2010


Jim Thompson’s website states, “ A World-leading Thai Restaurant
A Thai Restaurant offers definitive Thai cuisine in a Dempsey Hill heritage venue with a stunning interior designed to surpass any other Thai restaurant in the world. “Absolutely Thai, Thompson-style”
The restaurant’s distinctive approach is “absolutely Thai, Thompson-style.”
“Absolutely Thai” means the chefs have tested many, many recipes for each classic dish to refine what they believe experienced palettes will judge the very most delicious version. – To us that’s a big statement and we were there to see if JT lived up to it’s claim. Jill and I were both craving for Thai food so we decided to check Jim Thompson out on Jill’s recommendation.


Jack: As I walked into the restaurant, I was impressed with the whole compound and layout of a Dempsey Hill restaurant. I noticed most of the tables were full and busy on a Saturday night – a good sign for the restaurant. Walking into the restaurant, felt I was carried away into another time and did not feel I was in Singapore…. ambiance for me is key, so, so far so good…


Jill: That’s great to know, I knew that Jack would like this place based on the ambiance given the weight he puts on the environment of a place.  The charm of an old heritage building adds  a lot more value to the place even before you try the food.  As I was waiting for Jack, I ordered a lychee martini, which happens to be their signature martini drink. (a hint of sweetness with fresh tangy lychee was a good choice!) I didn’t feel bored at all given the surroundings; and actually enjoyed myself observing small details of the Thai décor such as-the lightings on the super high ceilings, well-lined Thai silk tapestries on the wall, lamps, table settings, music – was all soaking it in…


Lychee Martini's  You won't regret!

Jack: Well, I was impressed at the initial ambiance of the place but I was thinking of waiting for the food before I made any decision on the place.. we decided we would try a sumptuous sampling of a variety of some Thai dishes including my favorite, Tom Yum Kung – which in my opinion is a benchmark of how the quality and rest of the food at the restaurant will be like. I know for our readers that sounds like a stretch but why don’t you try this out and see for yourself…In my case, I find that I can judge the food quality of a Thai place by how authentic and good the Tom Yum Kung is….


Jill: I know a lot more restaurants that are more authentic in food quality, but having eaten here before the food has been “westernized” and catered to a more western palate. I really like the interiors here and think it has one of the nicest decors amongst all the Thai restaurants in Singapore. It used to be an old army barracks and JT did an amazing job in bringing the authentic look and feel of Thai culture to the restaurant …the place was completed with gracefully, and tastefully outfitted female Thai dancers in traditional Thai golden garb while dancing around the corners of the restaurant.


Jack: The waiters were extra courteous and took our orders – and were not intrusive while having a good balance of asking the right questions including asking the correct order of how the food should come out…( I think this is key for any fine dining establishment) we decided to have the food come in steps – appetizers, sides then main dishes.. we ordered their Thai sampler called the golden triangle, papaya salad, tom yum kung soup, soft shell crabs, and red curry with duck…we wanted to see how that went before we ordered the dessert…a bit of a killer line up, how are we ever going to lose the weight and our wastelines?  ;-)


Golden Triangle - The Bermuda Triangle?
Jill: The food started coming out in order, the portions of each dish was just about right for two of us. We started with a sampler– (deep-fried spring roll, grilled chicken wing and golden triangle) I personally felt it was a bit too greasy for my tastes, my guilty fat conscience kicked in.  I had a taste of the Tom Yum Kung and wished it was a bit spicier.. For me, I tend to crave Thai food when I want to eat something Spicy.. so.. this was a little bit disappointing, but once again.. Jim Thompson seems more catered to western palates..


                                   



Freshest Papaya Salad
 Jack: Yup, so the moment of truth, the first thing I did was taste the Tom Yum Kung, remember, I judge the whole Thai experience and food based on that soup alone – The verdict?  Average and boring.  I was not wowed, which meant that more often than not, the rest of the food quality would not be that great (unfortunately a bias that is hard to change for me)– whether that’s justified is another matter – that’s just the way I see it. I was still willing to try to give the rest of the food the benefit of the doubt…so let’s see how the other dishes went….



Jack's Benchmark: Tom Yum Kung Soup

Jill: The red curry dish came out and would describe it as a firey red colored, thick chilli paste, with many herb leaves and chunky duck meats. I personally prefer red curry over green curry because, it’s spicier. And duck meat goes well with red chili paste to absorb the sweet and spicy taste. There are couple of dishes that I always like to order when I visit to Thai cuisine ( in addition, will order, papaya salad, Tom yum kung soup, lemon steamed fish, red curry etc.) and this dish is definitely one of it since, my local Singaporean friends introduced me to this delicious dish 4 years ago when I first moved to Singapore.

   


 



Jack: I thought the red curry dish was flavorable and had a delectable taste as well but it didn’t stir up any emotions. Next up was the soft shell crabs, a staple for me when I go to Thai restaurants. Definite no no’s for me are when soft shell crabs are too greasy and soggy, but in JTs case, they were fried just right..that said as the dishes continued to come out, I kept on wondering if the food would inspire, or would it remain, somewhat status quo and ordinary. On the other hand, the surroundings continued to keep my interest and most of the patrons looked like they were having a great time. The service continued to impress and remain attentive.



Jill: As we were about to finish our dinner, I suggested we try a classic Thai dessert, Mango Sticky Rice. This fresh sliced mango with a scoop of sticky rice covered with coconut milk is.. very scrumptious.. ! The mango was just perfectly-ripped. If you like mangos and/or sticky rice, you’ll love this very simple but exotic Thai dessert. It completed our exotic Thai dinner with this silky juicy sweet mango dessert.



                              
                                   Mouthwatering mango with coconut - volcano sticky rice- 


Jack: I’m not sure if anyone can actually mess up this dessert given it’s simplicity but I’m sure it’s been done before – although I also thought the dessert was delicious, sweet light with the mango stick rice which melted in my mouth…it really hit the spot and one of the highlights of the dinner and evening. I agree the mango and sticky rice combo had a cooling sensation which tended to balance out the heavier, greasy and spicy portions of the earlier dishes..although by the end of dinner I was completely stuffed, and almost didn’t order dessert, I’m glad I did.


                                  
                                                       Hula Hula - Coconut Ice cream -





The Grand Entrance




Overall Jim Thompson Review

Jill: Jim Thompson on Dempsey Hill is more of a place to have an exotic experience; the whole setting- the interior, the food and the entertainment- is worth the visit. You actually feel like you are on holiday and outside of Singapore- a gigantic Thai pillar house with outdoor dining/pool area setting.  This place is a must check list for any Singapore visitors to experience and feel the first class Thai heritage elegance.

Jack: I would agree with Jill in that the experience, ambiance and the heritage feel of the place makes the place worthwhile. On the contrary, I did not feel the food really impressed, with some exceptional highlights such as the mango and rice dessert. To add on the food, it was probably better than average at best and felt despite the great atmosphere of the place, it was kind of wasted because of the status quo of the food. I think for visitors that are not connoisseurs and just looking for a chill ambiance in a surreal environment, this would be a place to hit but personally don’t intend to go back anytime soon. Highlights were the dessert, ambiance and service….

Jill: I know, I know what you’re saying but it was good for our “date” night out…..I think most girls would be impressed if a guy took the time and took them to this place given the ambiance of the place…and I certainly enjoyed it…

Jack: hmmm…well, okay.


Rating: Jack: 1 thumb Jill: 1 ½ 







Visited on Sat. 02 Feb 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment